Java5 and FreeBSD

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Fri Oct 1 17:47:54 PDT 2004

* De Savant <desavant at mac.com> [1038 01:38]:
> I was looking around with this latest announcement of Sun's Java2 1.5,
> since I was considering using FreeBSD on our server (amd64) instead of
> Linux. I made my way to Sun's java page, and then to the newest Java2
> Enterprise Edition 1.4 release. Yet no FreeBSD Java?

Sun have never released any VM for FreeBSD. The linux one will probably work
out of the box under the Linuxulator.

> "This release of the J2EE 1.4 SDK and the Sun Java System Application
> Server Platform Edition 8 is available for the following platforms:
> Solaris 9 (SPARC and x86)
> Sun Java Desktop System
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server
> Windows XP
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, 3.0"

> That's odd, but Linux wasn't taken very seriously either for a long
> time, so maybe it's under J2SE instead? Nope. Windows, Linux (x86),
> Linux (amd64), Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris (x86). The same for 1.4 sdk
> too. WTF, Right? Now I found:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/java/
>
> This I'm guessing is not the J2EE that you read about in Sun's Java
> books, but J2SE. So now I'm approaching my question. Will there ever be
> plans to port J2EE to FreeBSD running as a server?

J2EE is just a buttload of jarfiles, effectively. Install jboss from ports
and you have all the j2ee stuff you could ever want^W need^W , uh, put up with.

--
When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.
		- Winston Churchill, On formal declarations of war