Java5 and FreeBSD

De Savant desavant at mac.com
Fri Oct 1 17:39:11 PDT 2004

I was looking around with this latest announcement of Sun's Java2 1.5,
since I was considering using FreeBSD on our server (amd64) instead of
Linux. I made my way to Sun's java page, and then to the newest Java2
Enterprise Edition 1.4 release. Yet no FreeBSD Java?

"This release of the J2EE 1.4 SDK and the Sun Java System Application
Server Platform Edition 8 is available for the following platforms:
Solaris 9 (SPARC and x86)
Sun Java Desktop System
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows XP
Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, 3.0"

That's odd, but Linux wasn't taken very seriously either for a long
time, so maybe it's under J2SE instead? Nope. Windows, Linux (x86),
Linux (amd64), Solaris (SPARC), and Solaris (x86). The same for 1.4 sdk
too. WTF, Right? Now I found:

http://www.freebsd.org/java/

This I'm guessing is not the J2EE that you read about in Sun's Java
books, but J2SE. So now I'm approaching my question. Will there ever be
plans to port J2EE to FreeBSD running as a server?