simple router ?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Nov 29 08:37:32 PST 2004

"David Jenkins" <david.jenkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 November, 2004 15:05, Bill Moran said:
> > Sergey Evteeff <ostap at radiant.ru> wrote:
> >> Hi.

> >> operation
> >>
> >> Why?

<snip my earlier comments>

> There have been quite a lot of threads in the past month regarding the
> network performance of 5.3 being inferior to 4.10.
>
> You might also want to bear in mind that with the 5 series you have
> the benefit of OpenBSD's pf firewall. Although more information on 4.x
> and pf is available at the following link.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-September/000300.html
>
> Personally, if it was me, I'd go with 5.x rather than 4.x, but if you
> are going to be pushing a lot of data then perhaps search the archives
> for the last month or two regarding network performance.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct anymore.  I seem to remember that
the performance problems were in 5.3BETA and were fixed prior to the
release of 5.3-RELEASE.

I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong, but I think research of
reliable sources would be smart.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies