simple router ?

David Jenkins david.jenkins at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 08:20:56 PST 2004

On Mon, 29 November, 2004 15:05, Bill Moran said:
> Sergey Evteeff <ostap at radiant.ru> wrote:
>> Hi.

>> operation
>> > 5.3.
>>
>> Why?
>
> The only thing wrong with 5.3 is the gvinum doesn't work yet.  It
> doesn't
> seem like you'll be using gvinum.
>
> If you install 4.10, you'll want to upgrade at some point in the
> future
> when 4.X isn't supported any more.
>
> Unless you know factually that you won't be keeping this server around
> very long (i.e., less than a year).  If that's the case, use 4.10 as
> it's a more tested codebase.  I still think that's wrong, as servers
> always seem to stay around longer than you plan.

There have been quite a lot of threads in the past month regarding the
network performance of 5.3 being inferior to 4.10.

You might also want to bear in mind that with the 5 series you have
the benefit of OpenBSD's pf firewall. Although more information on 4.x
and pf is available at the following link.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2004-September/000300.html

Personally, if it was me, I'd go with 5.x rather than 4.x, but if you
are going to be pushing a lot of data then perhaps search the archives
for the last month or two regarding network performance.

Cheers,
David