shell programming challenge

Don Wilde Don at Silver-Lynx.com
Thu Nov 25 10:18:10 PST 2004

Adam Fabian wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 10:26:38AM -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
>
>>Hey, folks -
>>
>>I need to find a way to kick off an xterm running BASH and then execute
>>a program within that xterm, but NOT close the new xterm after the
>>program finishes. Another desirable thing would be to also be able to
>>'source in' a file of shell environment that would affect the new window
>> and shell.
>

> bash --rc-file \
> file_that_contains_the_environment_i_want_and_the_command_i_want_to_run
>
> If you mean that you want the xterm to continue running the same
> instance of bash.  I don't think xterms run without the benefit of a
> program to emulate a terminal for.

That's what I don't want to do. I could cat the rcfile and the command
in a temp file, but that runs the risk of leaving junk around in /tmp.
I'm actually eval'ing this command from another larger program and
passing prog-to-be-run from it's argument string after a -e switch. This
is to be generalized; I don't know what prog-to-be-run is going to be.

--
Don Wilde  ---------> Silver Lynx <----------
  Raising the Trajectory of Human Development