Deleting Extra Partitions & installing a second FreeBSD

RW list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Thu Nov 25 06:09:57 PST 2004

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 03:11, Lucas Holt wrote:
>   First, I want to delete the dell partition and merge it into the
> windows partition.  Are there any hurdles with freebsd in doing this?
> Do i need to change any boot config options for freebsd to find itself
> if I do this?

This will, of course, change the slice numbers for the rest of the disk. You
can probably get away with editing fstab and checking loader.conf for any
overrides with device names, but is it really worth it. Any partion editing
carries the risk of corruption and this partition is just 1/2000 of the disk
space.

> Second, I'd like to install a second freebsd installation for
> development and testing purposes on the second hard drive (disk1).
> Most likely i'll install 5.3 and upgrade to 6-Current.  Are there any
> issues I should be aware of in booting off a second disk or with two
> copies of freebsd on the same system?

I did this recently when I installed 5.3 on a new slice, and it was entirely
straightforward.