Deleting Extra Partitions & installing a second FreeBSD

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Nov 23 19:12:53 PST 2004

My computer has the following partition scheme.

Disk 0: (80 gig)
40MB Dell Utility Partition  (fat)
48GB Windows XP Pro  (NTFS)
(remaining) FreeBSD 5.3 Release

Disk 1: (40 gig)
Full disk allocated to an NTFS volume for file storage

I am using system commander 8.1 as a boot loader which is installed in
the windows NTFS volume

I would like to accomplish two things.

  First, I want to delete the dell partition and merge it into the
windows partition.  Are there any hurdles with freebsd in doing this?
Do i need to change any boot config options for freebsd to find itself
if I do this?

Second, I'd like to install a second freebsd installation for
development and testing purposes on the second hard drive (disk1).
Most likely i'll install 5.3 and upgrade to 6-Current.  Are there any
issues I should be aware of in booting off a second disk or with two
copies of freebsd on the same system?  I know its possible to do it,
just want to check on surprises first!

Thanks in advance!

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com