How do you "make install" without direct internet access?

Dick Davies rasputnik at hellooperator.net
Wed Nov 24 03:04:47 PST 2004

* Doug Poland <doug at polands.org> [1129 21:29]:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:22:07PM -0800, Ralph wrote:

> > actually, since I was in csh, the setenv FTP_PROXY
> > my.internal.proxy:80 worked like a charm, except that,
> > for some reason, fetch refuses to work without
> > internet DNS resolution.  As with our environment, no
> > internal hosts have external DNS resolution - how do
> > you solve that?
> >
> If you have ssh access out through the firewall, you can tunnel DNS (and
> http/ftp) requests through a *well-connected* Unix host.

Well, yeah, but then you might as well not bother with a proxy...

That sounds like a bug to me - I guess most people use fetch with proxies
so the proxy will cache the distfiles rather than to allow isolated machines
to get on the network, which might explain why it's not been spotted before?

--
The State is the kind of organization which, though it does big things
badly, does small things badly too. - John Kenneth Galbraith