How do you "make install" without direct internet access?

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Tue Nov 23 14:05:57 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:31:23PM -0800, Ralph wrote:

> > If you have ssh access out through the firewall, you can tunnel DNS
> > (and http/ftp) requests through a *well-connected* Unix host.
>
> So are we saying that the fetch command doesn't work
> without external DNS resolution?  That's a crock -
> that makes it unusable here... anyone have options to
> resolve this?

I wouldn't be so hard on the fetch command.  If you don't have external
DNS resolution then a lot of things won't work.  I was once stuck in an
office with limited http/ftp access, thus, no fetch command.  I did
have browser http access after I authenticated to Novell's BorderMangler.
I manually retrieved the tar balls I needed for each port I wanted to
install.  It was painfully, slow, and I never got all the tar balls I
needed because I wasn't good at following the dependencies.

You may want to consider doing a "make fetch" on a machine that has
unhindered access, then burning those tar balls to a CD-ROM.

--
Regards,
Doug