login screen on 5.3

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Nov 23 15:11:24 PST 2004

On 2004-11-23 16:05, glen disley <disleyg at telusplanet.net> wrote:
> I just installed Freebsd5.3. After a long compile process and a few
> tweeks of Xorg I was able to get a kdm screen prompt. There are only 2
> users on the system, one bing root and the other me (Glen). What I
> don't understand is why on the kdm login screen I see Charlie&root as
> administrators and Glen as a user. I'm semi familiar with Linux and my
> root login is only root no other names. No one else has access to the
> computer other then me and I set it up behind a SMC router with a
> built in firewall

`Charlie &' is the text that appears in /etc/passwd as the real name of
the root' user.  Obviously, kdm tries to be ``user-friendly'', showing
the real name of the user too, and managed to confuse you.

No worries.  Ignore it or check to see if a configuration option of kdm
can change the default user-display style.

Welcome to FreeBSD, BTW :-)