login screen on 5.3

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Tue Nov 23 15:10:32 PST 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:05:20 -0700
glen disley <disleyg at telusplanet.net> spake thus:

> I just installed Freebsd5.3. After a long compile process and a few
> tweeks of Xorg I was able to get a kdm screen prompt. There are only 2
> users on the system, one bing root and the other me (Glen). What I don't
> understand is why on the kdm login screen I see Charlie&root as
> administrators and Glen as a user. I'm semi familiar with Linux and my
> root login is only root no other names. No one else has access to the
> computer other then me and I set it up behind a SMC router with a built
> in firewall

#cat /etc/passwd

root:*:0:0:Charlie &:/root:/bin/csh
SNIP

you will find as you go along that when you add users you are asked for
the users full name. At some point someone decided that the root users
name was charlie. If you have email set up properly now you might have
noticed an email from charlie root which is your daily run report. You
could change this by editing the passwd file and giving root the name of
your choice but unless it bothers you there is little point to it. It is
unlikely that you have been attacked if this is the only symptom.

HTH

LukeK

--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>