XFree86 cut the screen

Adam Fabian afabian at austin.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 16:52:37 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 11:41:36PM +0000, Dude Dude wrote:
> I've freebsd running in a box with 5.3, and when i startx, the X gives a
> big black margin, and cut my 17" screen.
> Only the default window manager dont do that, what i can do ??

Sounds like X could just be drawing the screen incorrectly for your
monitor.  That's inconsistent with the window manager having an effect
on the phenomenon, though, so I could be way off base here, but I'm
going to suggest that you try xvidtune and stretch your screen until
it looks right.  Afterwards, you can take the numbers shown by
xvidtune and make an XFree86 modeline out of them if you need to.
--
Adam Fabian (afabian at austin.rr.com)