gnome crashes on startx

Antoine Solomon asolomon15 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 15:46:53 PST 2004

gnome gives me a segmentation fault when I try to start it using
startx.  When i try other windows managers such as fluxbox and
enlightenment I have no problems starting.  When in fluxbox or
enlightenment, I get a segmentation fault with gtk programs like
mozilla, firefox and gaim also.  I also tried using the gdm and here
is the error message i get in .xession-errors

usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with
wtmp and utmp
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/PreSession/Default: running: /usr/X11R6/bin/sessreg
-a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x
"/usr/X11R6/share/gnome/gdm/:0.Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "daddius"
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute:
/usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session

The only time gnome and other gtk programs work is when in failsafe.
Could anyone point me in the right direction as to solving this
problem?
--
Antoine W. Solomon Jr.