turning off IPv6 support in BSD

Michael W. Oliver michael at gargantuan.com
Sun Nov 21 06:59:00 PST 2004

On 2004-11-21T11:01:09+0000, David Jenkins wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:27:19 +0200, Panagiotis Christias
> <christias at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Remove "options INET6" from your kernel config file
> > > (/sys/i386/conf/XXX), rebuild your kernel and reboot your machine.
> > >
> > > There may be a way to turn it off at runtime using sysctl, but I don't
> > > know what it is, and in hindsight it probably wouldn't make much sense
> > > to do that at runtime, although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. :)
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Andrew
> >
> > You can also comment out the 'ipv6_enable="YES"' line in /etc/rc.conf.
>
> I just ensured my rc.conf didn't have
>
> ipv6_enable="YES"
>
> dropped to single user mode and came back up and it appears there is
> still support for IPv6

ipv6_enable="YES" is defined in /etc/defaults/rc.conf, so you have to
define ipv6_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf to realize any change.

FYI, since I actively use IPv6, I can't really say what the above
definition will actually accomplish, but wanted to clear up what needed
to be defined in /etc/rc.conf.

To get rid of IPv6 completely (why would you want this? :) ), you should
definitely rebuild your kernel without INET6.

--
Michael W. Oliver
[see complete headers for contact information]