turning off IPv6 support in BSD

David Jenkins david.jenkins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 03:01:10 PST 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:27:19 +0200, Panagiotis Christias
<christias at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 03:59:23 +1100, andrew clarke <mail at ozzmosis.com> wrote:
>

> > On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 04:50:58PM +0000, Danny Browne wrote:
> >
> > > How do i turn off IPv6 support in FreeBSD 4.10?
> >
> > Remove "options INET6" from your kernel config file
> > (/sys/i386/conf/XXX), rebuild your kernel and reboot your machine.
> >
> > There may be a way to turn it off at runtime using sysctl, but I don't
> > know what it is, and in hindsight it probably wouldn't make much sense
> > to do that at runtime, although I'm willing to be convinced otherwise. :)
> >
> > Regards
> > Andrew
>
> You can also comment out the 'ipv6_enable="YES"' line in /etc/rc.conf.

I just ensured my rc.conf didn't have

ipv6_enable="YES"

dropped to single user mode and came back up and it appears there is
still support for IPv6

> netstat -anf inet6
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp6       0      0  *.22                   *.*                    LISTEN

There also doesn't seem to be anything in `sysctl -a', so I would
imagine you will have to rebuild the kernel with:

options INET6

commented out or removed.

Hope this helps.

David