PCMCIA Wireless Card Question

Tom Connolly tomc at cqg.com
Thu Nov 18 10:37:35 PST 2004

Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:30 pm, Tom Connolly wrote:
>> Hello List,
>> I have just put FreeBSD 5.3 Release on my Dell Latitude C600 laptop.
>> I wish to go wireless but I'm new to this technology.  I have looked
>> through the hardware compatibility notes and have found several
>> supported wireless cards.  My question is, what do I have to do
>> (ports to install, configuration, etc.) to get the wireless
>> connection up and running.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Based on your email, I will assume that you purchased a compatible
> wireless adapter.
>
> 1. Make sure your pccard slots work in FreeBSD 5.3.  There's no use in
> struggling with the pccard if the slots don't work.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/x58.html
>

> 2. Make sure your kernel is configured for your hardware.  You may
> have to add devices to your kernel:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.h
tml

> 3. Configure your wireless connection:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wirele
ss.html

> Have fun,
>
> Andrew Gould

Thank you for the good information.  I completed step one, my pccard
slot works fine.  I then plugged in my wireless card (Netgear WG311T
supported by the ath(4) driver).  My system said that no driver was
configured for this card.  I assume now I must configure my kernel as
step 2 indicates but I am a little confused.  Would I just add "device
ath" to the kernel config file?  Also, do I then have to create a device
node?

Thank you for your help.

Tom