PCMCIA Wireless Card Question

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Nov 16 14:09:30 PST 2004

On Tuesday 16 November 2004 12:30 pm, Tom Connolly wrote:
> Hello List,
> I have just put FreeBSD 5.3 Release on my Dell Latitude C600 laptop.
> I wish to go wireless but I'm new to this technology.  I have looked
> through the hardware compatibility notes and have found several
> supported wireless cards.  My question is, what do I have to do
> (ports to install, configuration, etc.) to get the wireless
> connection up and running.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

Based on your email, I will assume that you purchased a compatible
wireless adapter.

1. Make sure your pccard slots work in FreeBSD 5.3.  There's no use in
struggling with the pccard if the slots don't work.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/laptop/x58.html

2. Make sure your kernel is configured for your hardware.  You may have
to add devices to your kernel:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

3. Configure your wireless connection:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html