Question about nice

David J. Weller-Fahy dave-lists-freebsd-questions at weller-fahy.com
Tue Nov 16 06:45:15 PST 2004

I've set a very few commands as NOPASSWD in sudo, and run them from my
normal user's crontab.  I've seen some examples of crontab's that use
nice, but none that use sudo and nice.  That led me to a few questions.
All paths have been stripped stripped - sudo and isoqlog are in
/usr/local/bin, nice is in /usr/bin.

1. I understand nice is useful if you need to run a program at a certain
priority.  Is nice useful when not passing a priority?  If so, what is
the difference between the following two commands (in terms of priority
level)?

nice isoqlog
isoqlog

2. If it is useful to run nice without passing a priority, then are the
following two commands equivalent?  If not, which one would be preferred
and why?

nice sudo isoqlog
sudo nice isoqlog

I've been reading a bit, but haven't found a definite answer yet.  My
feeling is that the answer to number one (first portion) is no, and
thus the answer to number 2 (first portion) is no.  I'd be happy to be
proven wrong, though. ;]

Regards,
--
dave [ please don't CC me ]