Font Problem in applications under XOrg with FreeBSD 5.3R

Mike Doyle relyod at cooperationireland.org
Tue Nov 16 06:36:55 PST 2004

Hi

I have what is probably a configuration problem. I just installed  5.3R
onto an old notebook
that worked fine with FreeBSD 4.10stable, and the menu/system fonts in
everything except
xterm are unreadable under both KDE and Fluxbox. (It's worse under FluxBox,
since KDE
uses its own fonts for some things).

For example, in FireFox and in Konqueror, the menu items, location bar, etc
are all
unreadable, but the page text of a page I view is OK, since it's not using
"system" fonts.

It is almost as if the computer is trying to use 1px high letters in the menus.
Where should I look, even which man pages, for further details on sorting this.
Also, can I fix it system wide, or will I have to tweak each and every
application.

Thanks for your help

Michael Doyle          email: relyod at cooperationireland.org
Network Administrator              mobile: +353 87 235 7853
Co-operation Ireland	  http://www.cooperationireland.org/
Phone: +353-1-661 0588                 Fax: +353-1-661 8456