How do I 'activate' mod_php5?

Kjell Midtseter junkmail at sensewave.com
Mon Nov 15 12:11:22 PST 2004

On Monday, 15 November 2004 at 10:20:32 -0600, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Kjell Midtseter wrote:
>
> >After installing lang/php4-extensions with apache13,
> >I can start using embedded php in my web pages right away.
> >When installing lang/php5-extensions, the embedded php
> >is passed as if it were html without being interpreted.
> >Any initialization required fro php5?
> >The required modules seems to be in place in httpd.conf
> >I get the same results when I make a new clean and cvsup'ed install from
> >the 5.3R CD Kjell
> >

> The procedure is the same for PHP5 as it was for PHP4,
> with no variations *that I have noticed*.
>
> So, the first question ... have you added/modified/created
> the necessary AddModule, LoadModule, and AddHandler
> (or is it AddType?) lines in your httpd.conf?

What I have done is:
1) Loaded a system from the 5.3R CD, cvsup'ed and built world etc,
cvsup'ed ports and upgraded. Then installed lang4-extensions/apache13
2) Repeated 1) on a second box, but installing lang5-extensions/apache13
3) Repeated 1) on the second box, but installing lang5-extensions/apache2

Used the same options in all 3 cases. (slight diffs in the apache2 case)

1) works as always. I find
LoadModule php4_module        libexec/apache/libphp4.so
AddModule mod_php4.c
in httpd.conf (No need to add anything)

2) does not work. I find
LoadModule php5_module        libexec/apache/libphp5.so
AddModule mod_php5.c
in httpd.conf

3) does not work. I find
LoadModule php5_module        libexec/apache2/libphp5.so
in httpd.conf (no AddModule)

In both steps 1) and 2) I find
<IfModule mod_dir.c>
    <IfModule mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.php3 index.html
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php3 index.html
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
    <IfModule !mod_php3.c>
        <IfModule mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
        </IfModule>
        <IfModule !mod_php4.c>
            DirectoryIndex index.html
        </IfModule>
    </IfModule>
</IfModule>
in httpd.conf, but this (oversighth?) is probably not important for php5 to work,
and editing makes no difference.
Kjell