Poor Applictaion Documentation

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Nov 14 22:32:50 GMT 2004

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 05:14:39PM +0000, Danny Browne wrote:
> More of a general gripe thatn a question,
>
> Why are most of the ports for BSD soooo poorly documented. This is somethig i was very suprised at.
>
> I am not looking in the right places?
>
> For example, try and find some page on the web that will tell what the latest version of gnome fifth toe, (or power tools or whatever) is and what aditional packages it will install. Its impossible, because it's not documented.
>
> And it's not just gnome alot of the open source UNIX/GNU Linux  applications websites are poorly maintained and info is quite often seriously outdated.
>
> Feel free to bitch at me if i'm wrong here, but as a relatively new user this has been my biggest problem. Not the techincal side.

Complain to the authors of the software that you feel is poorly
documented [1].  Remember that the software in ports isn't developed
by the FreeBSD project.

Kris

[1] They'll probably tell you that they know it's under-documented,
and ask for your help in remedying the situation.  This is a great way
that non-coders can contribute to open source projects.