x11 cookie expires after some time

Emanuel Strobl Emanuel.Strobl at gmx.net
Sun Nov 14 18:28:35 GMT 2004

Dear all,

perhaps someone can explain me why I can't execute a x-program via a ssh
session after some time (some hours). When I log into the machine everything
is fine and xclock or any other x11 application is working fine.
But after some hours, when I try to execute exactly the same application once
again, I get the following error:
Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Xlib: connection to "localhost:10.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key
Lost the connection to the X server

The session wasn't interrupted nor did I modify anything else, just the ssh
session has idled for some hours.

I have to admit that I'm not really familar with the .Xauthority stuff, but it
works for the first hour, so why not as long as the ssh session exists?

Thanks,

-Mano