Why use a firewall with dialup?

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Sat Nov 13 22:46:26 GMT 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004, Kent Stewart wrote:
>On Saturday 13 November 2004 01:12 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>> I've been using one for some time, but now that I have a mini network, it
>> has become a bit of a hassle updating the rules.
>>
>> If I disable all services but ssh, stay STABLE, and do not have a broadband
>> connection, what danger is there?
>>

>The script kiddies don't target broadband. They step through IP blocks. You
>are just as much at risk with dialup as you are with broadband. The only
>difference is the time of exposure.

The only time I've ever had a Linux box cracked was when I was using my
laptop with a Ricochet wireless modem.  I hadn't hardened the laptop
because I was lazy, and it had never been out in the wild before, living on
our internal LAN behind our firewalls and NAT.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
free enterprise,'' said Cash McCall, ``but when one of our citizens
show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself.''
		-- Cameron Hawley