Why use a firewall with dialup?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Sat Nov 13 21:46:12 GMT 2004

On Saturday 13 November 2004 01:12 pm, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I've been using one for some time, but now that I have a mini network, it
> has become a bit of a hassle updating the rules.
>
> If I disable all services but ssh, stay STABLE, and do not have a broadband
> connection, what danger is there?

The script kiddies don't target broadband. They step through IP blocks. You
are just as much at risk with dialup as you are with broadband. The only
difference is the time of exposure.

It has been a long time since I used dialup but IIRC, ppp-user had some
features very much like a firewall.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart