FBSD 5.3 | Wrong DMA mode freezes the system?

Sebastian Holmqvist sebastian.holmqvist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 14:34:04 PST 2004

I have 2 discs on my Sata-controller card.
It's fully supported by FBSD but when it's handling alot of data, the
whole machine hangs.

I checked with atacontrol and my discs were SATA150, but the documentation says:
Currently supported modes are: BIOSDMA, PIO0 (alias BIOSPIO), PIO1,
PIO2, PIO3, PIO4, WDMA2, UDMA2 (alias UDMA33), UDMA4 (alias UDMA66),
UDMA5 (alias UDMA100) and UDMA6 (alias UDMA133).

Could this have something to do with it?

I found this: http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2003-August/002921.html
Looks pretty much like my problem, only that I use the SATA-ports
instead of the PATA on the card.
--

Sebastian Holmqvist
Webprogrammer / HL2 modder