FBSD 5.3 + Nvidia drivers

John Murphy sub01 at freeode.co.uk
Wed Nov 10 05:58:59 PST 2004

Cargnini wrote:

>Someone knows if the driver is working on 5.3 release ?

Yes.  I installed the nvidia driver from ports
(/usr/ports/X11/nvidia-driver).

>I must apply all the patchs like in 5.2.1, in 5.3 ??

No.  If you use the port it even makes an entry in
/boot/loader.conf for you.

Change the 'Driver "nv"' line to 'Driver "nvidia"' and add
'Load "glx"' in the Modules section of xorg.conf.

You may need to compile and install a custom kernel without
'device agp'.  Although it seems to work for me with GENERIC.
I didn't use GENERIC with anything more demanding than screen
savers though (GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8).

The screen needs to run at a depth of 16 or 24 bit.
(the default is 8).

--
HTH, John.