Pthreads Bug & Bacula

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Nov 1 10:22:13 PST 2004

On 10/30/2004 2:52 PM jason wrote:

> Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if or when the pthreads bug was fixed in version
>> 4?  Google searches show some indication it was fixed in 4.9 and
>> other information that it was fixed in 4.10.  I'm running
>> 4.9-RELEASE-p4.
>>
>> Currently I'm following the instructions in pthreads-fix.txt but with
>> my DLT30 drive, I can see this will take many hours.  I would really
>> appreciate it if someone can save me the time.  :)  I will upgrade to
>> 4.10 if I need to but would rather not if I don't have to.  I don't
>> want to fix what isn't broken!  :)
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Drew
>>
> I was just updating my system yesterday and ran into the pthread bug.
> I had updated libxml2 and it was compiled with pthreads.  To fix it I
> removed /var/db/ports/libxml2/options.  When I recompiled it asked for
> a config, and I told it no pthreads.  Now it works fine.  So to answer
> your question the "bug" was never fixed because it is a design
> implementation issue.  FreeBSD just exposes it right away instead of
> far off randomly in the future when you have long uptime(had to do
> with pids being recycled) so the general rule was disable them.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thanks for your reply.  I upgraded to 4.10-RELEASE and then 4-STABLE
(see my post in -stable titled "Problems After Upgrading from
4.9-RELEASE-p4 To 4.10-RELEASE-p3").  The pthreads "bug" is OK in 4.10
and -STABLE as far as my tape drive goes.   However, now I have other
problems (again, see my post in -stable).

Thanks,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse