Porting ALSA drivers to OSS may be easy, according to OSS ;)

Bruno nc41530a at vizzavi.pt
Thu May 27 03:38:25 PDT 2004

Well, I looked here:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pcm&sektion=4

Instead of here:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.2.1R/hardware-i386.html#AEN1101
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.10R/hardware-i386.html#AEN1762

I haven't tried FreeBSD for a long time (before SB Live! was supported)
but I knew my SB Live! is supported for some time now.

I also have read comments from others about sound support on FreeBSD, and
when I compared the supported cards on the pcm man page with the
commercial OSS and ALSA supported cards I felt they were right.

But I'm much happier now that I know I've searched the wrong places and
FreeBSD supports much more soundcards that I could have imagined.

I can't remember which is the soundcard in the old Compaq Presario laptop
my wife has.

But my desktop will migrate in a few days. Thanks for the quick answer :)

Bruno

BTW, you're right about the drivers, I haven't understood it the first
time (OSS API != OSS drivers).