config is out of sinc

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed May 26 23:02:43 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 10:19 pm, Earl Larsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 May 2004 11:39 pm, Kent Stewart wrote:

> > > Where is the sample config files located?
> >
> > /usr/share/examples/cvsup
> >
> > Kent
>
> Ok I did a little more research on making the cvsupfile. And to make
> my system up to date for everything for 4.9(stable). Please correct
> me if I am wrong. Will be the fallowing:
>
> default host=cvsup12.us.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_9
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all tag=.
> doc-all tag=.
> cvsroot-all

Keep your supfile simple like the examples and don't include features
such as cvsroot-all that you don't understand the side effects. If you
want a local mirror, install cvsup-mirror but you need to understand
the consequences of what you are doing before you try that.

The current cvsup-mirror is over 2GB and you are going to download all
of it. /usr/src for RELENG_4 is around 300MB and that is much easier to
deal with than a 2GB system that you still need to run cvsup or cvs
against to use. Since you are already asking for src-all, you just
quadrupled the amount of data you are going to transfer each time you
run cvsup.

I use a cvsup script for each of those processes (src-all, ports-all,
and doc-all) because I don't believe they need to be updated at the
same frequency. I have a local mirror and feed 6 other computers from
it. I think the break even point is 2 and you don't see any gain until
you have more than 3. If you install a mirror on a single computer, you
are downloading everything for all of the branch tags.

> What would change for 4.9 current? I am a little confused on the
> difference of RELENG_4_9 and RELENG_4_9_0_RELEASE. Is the first one
> for stable systems, and the later one for current systems?

You need to read about the branch tags on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvs-tags.html

RELENG_4 is stable, which is now going by the name 4.10-STABLE. There is
now a RELENG_4_10_0_RELEASE, which never changes, and RELENG_4_10,
which is only updated with critical fixes and security advisories.

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA