sysinstall config question

Daniel Bye daniel.bye at psineteurope.com
Mon May 24 04:37:43 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 02:47:32PM +0400, Alex Povolotsky wrote:
> Hello!
>
> According to sysinstall(8),
>
>      LOAD_CONFIG_FILE
>        If sysinstall is compiled with LOAD_CONFIG_FILE set in the envi-
>        ronment (or in the Makefile) to some value, then that value will
>        be used as the filename to automatically look for and load when
>        sysinstall starts up and with no user interaction required.  This
>        option is aimed primarily at large sites who wish to create a
>        single prototype install for multiple machines with largely iden-
>        tical configurations and/or installation options.
>
> However, attempt to make release as follows
>
> make release BUILDNAME=5.2.1-RELEASE CHROOTDIR=/var/release CVSROOT=/home/ncvs RELEASETAG=RELENG_5_2_1_RELEASE LOAD_CONFIG_FILE="gw.conf"
>
> result in the following error:
>
> ===> bin
> ===> bin/cat
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   cat /var/release/bin
> install: cat: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 71
>
> Stop in /usr/src/bin/cat.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src/bin.
> *** Error code 1
>
> while building release without LOAD_CONFIG_FILE builds just fine.
>
> I do not have a 4.X box with enough resources to try the same there; maybe
> someone could enlighten me? Or I should ask in -current?

My understanding from reading sysinstall(8) is that the sysinstall binary
needs to have LOAD_CONFIG_FILE set in the environment, not the release
build.

Try adding it to the Makefile for sysinstall, and see what happens...

However, I have recently set up a custom install script, which simply has
the default name, install.cfg.  As long as it is located in the root of your
mfsroot file system, sysinstall will load it.  If you don't have a
particular need to give it a different name, you might give it a go.

Dan