Looking to build server, best option for reliable FreeBSD supported hardware (SCSI RAID5)?

Antony Mawer fbsd at mawer.org
Fri May 21 08:43:53 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I've been asked to spec out a server designed to pull and store off-site
backups from ~60 sites (primary function). The intention is to run
FreeBSD on it, although at this point in time we're still deciding
whether or not to run -stable (4.x) or -current (5.x) on it; I have a
feeling that we may end up having to go with 5.x for driver support.

We're looking at probably 4x146gb SCSI drives in RAID5, and I want to
make sure we have hardware that's known to work under FreeBSD before we
go placing an order. What vendors/equipment are people currently running
reliably under FreeBSD (either 4.x or 5.x)? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Regards
Antony Mawer