Creating ISO image question

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Mon May 17 14:05:06 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 11:43:56PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi arden,
>
> Tks for your advice.
>
> > im guessing this is what you mean ?
> >
> > mkisofs -r -J -o cd_image.iso dir/
>
> I made following test without result;
>
> $ mkisofs -r -J -o cd_image.iso
> /usr/home/user-A/Storage-040517
> mkisofs: Joliet tree sort failed.
>
> The result I expect to have is after burning a folder
> named 'Storage-040517' found on the CD under which are
> directories and subdirectories.

mkisofs -o cd_image.iso <flags from mkisofs man page> dir/ ?

I know that at the top of the mkisofs man page it says that the -o
option can come first; but the examples at the bottom of the man page
indicate to put the name of the output file first.

When I run mkisofs, I put it first; the basic syntax I offer above
works for me.

Generally I use:

mkisofs -o <filename>.iso -J -R -P "Joe" -sysid "BACKUP" -V "<meaningful string>" -l backup/

Almost always, I use the same name for the <filename> and for the
<meaningful string>.