FreeBSD 4.7 Syslogs

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat May 15 01:56:39 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 01:51:40AM -0400, Matt Cyber Dog LaPlante wrote:
> I've inherited a FreeBSD 4.7 server as part of a system administration job.
>  Recently I noticed that the syslog files had stopped collecting data.  This
> includes /var/log/messages and /var/log/console among others.  Up until some
> time last week, they'd been full of data, but after some unknown event, all
> data collection stopped.  I did not build/configure the system, nor am I
> very fluent in the ways of BSD, so I do not know where else to begin looking
> for answers.  I ran the newsyslog program to regenerate all the log files.
>  It created them, with the single line stating a new log file was created,
> but aside from that one line they remain empty.  I tried manually restarting
> syslogd, as well as rebooting the whole machine, neither of which have had
> any effect.  I have not manually altered any syslog configuration info, and
> I basically have no idea what to try next.  I'm a relative noob when it
> comes to FreeBSD, so I'd appreciate answers in a simple format.  Thanks in
> advance...

Hmmm... that doesn't sound good.  Can you use logger(1) to write a
test message into the log files?

    % logger -p daemon.info -t TEST "Some test message"

which should appear in /var/log/messages.  If it doesn't, look at
/etc/syslog.conf and verify that it is sensible.  Then try killing
syslogd and starting it up in debug mode:

    # syslogd -d {other syslog flags}

this will not daemonize itself or go into the background and will
print out various debugging information as log messages come in.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way