The journalling file system saga

Peter Schuller peter.schuller at infidyne.com
Thu May 13 18:30:12 PDT 2004

> > Yes, for the reasons mentioned below, and strictly for practical personal
> > use because I'd love to be able to share data between FreeBSD and Linux
> > ;)
>
> Right now, FBSD offers the option to mount ext2 if you've compiled that
> into the kernel - I'd be happy to see a reiserfs option as well. If nothing
> else it would very useful to have the ability to mount reiserfs partitions
> under FreeBSD so that I could read the data I have stored there.

Yes, I am aware of the ext2fs support. However I have avoided ext2fs like the
plague for quite some time, and probably would not use it even to enable
linux/freebsd file sharing... The amount of file system korruption
experienced in the event of an unclean shutdown is just too great, even on a
personal non-server system.

So yeah, ReiserFS would be great. But I suspect it would also be a lot of
work. I have googled on this in the past and it seems Namesys/Hans Reiser
would be perfectly willing to implement such a thing if somebody were willing
to pay for it.

I personally think ReiserFS would be a very good choice, if additional
filesystems were to be supported. I say this mostly in light of all the 'next
generation' features of ReiserFS 4, rather than because of any actual or
fictional advantages in performance of ReiserFS 3.x as compared to the
alternatives. The idea of ACID transactions at the filesystem level is just
too attractive to resist. :)

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey at scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller at infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org