Setting Up IMAP

Charles Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed May 12 09:25:47 PDT 2004

On May 12, 2004, at 9:29 AM, Jason Dusek wrote:
>  Problem 1
> My mail server's certificate 'fails' the authenticity test because it
> is self-assigned. Why is this bad (aren't I *supposed* to get a
> certificate with
>  # make cert
> in the stunnel port?) and what do I do to get a better certificate?

You can add the certificate of the local CA you used to sign the SSL
cert to your mail client's list of trusted CAs.

You can also pay a "real CA" like Verisign, enTrust, etc for a
commercial SSL cert which will be accepted by default, as mail clients
already know those CAs.

>  Problem 2
> Kmail allows me accept the bad certificate and logs in succesfully. It
> then shows me my *entire* home directory, not just the mail folder.
> Why does this happen?

There may be an option named "IMAP path prefix" which will let you
change this, or you can recompile the UWash IMAP server after changing
the default path where mail is kept.

You'll probably need to go to /usr/ports/mail/cclient, do a "make
extract", and then cd to work/imap-2002d.  Read docs/CONFIG,
specificly:

[ ...begin excerpt... ]
>      Example 2: suppose you want to change c-client's idea of the
> user's mailbox directory to be the "mail" subdirectory of the user's
> home directory instead of the user's home directory.  You will want to
> change variable mailsubdir, changing the line that reads:
>
> static char *mailsubdir = NIL;  /* mail subdirectory name */
>  to be:
> static char *mailsubdir = "mail";/* mail subdirectory name */

...and then do a "make deinstall ; make reinstall" from the port's
directory.

--
-Chuck