Japanese Input (More Specific)

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Sat May 8 19:21:51 PDT 2004

On Sat, 08 May 2004 12:49:24 -0400
braidsenfro at netscape.net granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> Please disregard last question because it is a little too vague. My apologies.
>
> The Question
> [
> I would appreciate it very much if someone could provide a step-by-step guide for enabling Japanese input into a terminal window, using a jvim or other japanese enabled vi-like editors.  I'm not particular about the server (canna, wnn6, etc.) it just has to work.  Also, although i'd prefer to stick with a vi-like editor, i would be ok with an emacs solution as well.
> ]
>
> Some Information
> [
> I'm currently using
>  - FreeBSD 4.9
>  - Enlightenment 0.16
>  - i386 Architecture
> ]

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html
http://redundancy.redundancy.org/fbsd_japanese.html
http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/jpnimintro.html

are the main URL's I used to get it working however there are _so_ many
variables. You need to work through this for yourself. A tip if you will
is to use Mozilla which seems to live with the JP input better than
anything else.

> My Handicap
> [
> I'm very new, so please, try not to gloss over things (e.g. rather than say "go to the ports directory" say "go to /usr/ports/").  I've read documentation that said "type abc" but never said where. And some that have said "the configuration file" but gave a path.
> ]
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Akbar

Nope, your handicap is your inability to google for information. This is
not an OS that does everything for you. You have to be prepared to read,
try, accept that what you tried didn't work first time, try again, read
more. JP input in FreeBSD is once you get it,is not particularly tough
but if you won't even google for information then you really are in a
tight spot and everything you try to do with Unix will be a chore.

There are plenty of good places on the web that will teach you how to do
this but in order to be able to get it working correctly you need to
understand how a Unix machine deals with Kanji and to understand the
relationship between the environment settings and the OS.

Be prepared to read more, you will get it eventually.

--
Luke Kearney <lukek at meibin.net>