Built-in lpr vs CUPS

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat May 8 13:27:50 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 06:55:54PM +0200, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> The default setup is to include /usr/bin before /usr/local/bin in
> $PATH.  This means that entering "lpr -Pfoo" doesn't work for printing
> on my machine, I have to say "/usr/local/bin/lpr -Pfoo".
>
> It is obvious that I could change $PATH to mention /usr/local/bin
> before /usr/bin, but is that the right solution?  Surely there is a
> reason for /etc/login.conf to mention /usr/bin first.

Most of the system assumes it's using the utilities that come with it:
ie. the contents of /usr/bin.  Equivalently named programs could well
be installed into /usr/local/bin, and those need not behave exactly
the same, so for consistencies' sake, having /usr/bin first is
generally better.

However, that's not always what's required, and putting /usr/local/bin
before /usr/bin in your path might be the right solution for certain
user accounts. (Real users, not system ones)

> Any thoughts are very much appreciated.

An alternative is to set up some shell aliases for those commands:

    % alias lpr /usr/local/bin/lpr

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way