using make to use a specific mirror while building ports

Joshua Lokken joshua at twobirds.us
Tue Mar 23 11:02:15 PST 2004

* Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> [2004-03-23 07:45]:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 04:28:41AM +0000, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
> > hi
> > 2 questions pls.
> >
> > 1.I happened to come across a fairly fast mirror while
> > doing a CVSup.
> > How can I configure make to use this mirror (as a
> > first preference over ftp.freebsd.org) while making
> > apps from ports.
>
> cvsup mirrors aren't FTP mirrors, but assuming you actually meant "how
> do I configure make to fetch from an alternate ftp mirror?", read the
> /etc/defaults/make.conf file (/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf on
> 5.x) to see how.

If you want cvsup to use a particular mirror, set it with the default
host option in your supfile, like this:

*default host=cvsupxx.freebsd.org

where xx is the appropriate mirror number.

> > 2. Instead of using cvsup to upgrade the ports tree,
> > is there a command to upgrade a specific port, say,
> > XMMS.
>
> Install the portupgrade port.
>
> Kris

it's /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade, and it is the best software
management tool I've used to date.  Read the man pages, too.

--
Joshua

No one may kill a man.  Not for any purpose.  It cannot be condoned.
		-- Kirk, "Spock's Brain", stardate 5431.6