Printing from Mac OS X to CUPS on FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE...

lists at battleface.com lists at battleface.com
Fri Mar 12 10:59:03 PST 2004

Okay. I've looked hi and lo for an answer to this and I'm not coming up
with anything useful.

I have two machines on the same network (192.168.0.x). One is an x86
running 4.9-STABLE and CUPS 1.1.19. The other is a PowerBook G4 running
Mac OS X 10.3.2 (Panther). The x86 machine has an HP laser printer
attached to it via parallel.

When on the fbsd machine, I can print files locally just fine. Under
Mac OS X I can print to file as Postscript or PDF, put the file on the
fbsd machine and print it locally just fine. So, it appears the PS/PDF
data coming from OS X is not a problem. However, when I try to print
from Mac OS X to the x86 box using IPP...nothing.

I was getting a "Destination printer does not exist!" in the error log.
I believe I've turned on browsing locally (BTW, I appear to be
receiving CUPS' broadcast packets). I've tried configuring IPP printing
on the PowerBook using both the Printer Setup Utility and
http://localhost:631/. No go.

Here's my cupsd.conf:

ServerName 127.0.0.1
LogLevel info
RequestRoot /usr/local/var/spool/cups
ConfigFilePerm 0644
TempDir /usr/local/var/spool/cups/tmp
Listen 127.0.0.1
Listen 192.168.0.2
BrowseAddress 192.168.0.255
BrowseShortNames No
BrowseAllow 127.0.0.1
BrowseAllow 192.168.0.4
ImplicitClasses Off
RootCertDuration 43200
<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.4
</Location>
<Location /admin>
AuthType None
AuthClass Anonymous
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
Allow From 192.168.0.4
</Location>

The error_log file on the fbsd box shows the following error:

	get_printer_attrs: resource name '/ipp' no good!

Does there need to exist an ipp directory under the spool directory?
Where? I've tried this and still no go. Permissions, perhaps?

Thanks,

alex

  Alexander Sendzimir (owner)                    802 863 5502
  MacTutor: Apple Mac OS X Consulting       info at mactutor.biz