Kernel Questions

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Mar 11 01:01:29 PST 2004

A few questions on the FreeBSD kernel:

1.  If I specify a driver in the config file with a device command, does
that always mean that it's compiled in staticly and not as a module?

2.  How does make decide what to compile as a module?  Is it everything
not compiled into the kernel that it can compile as a module?  And how
would I tell what can only be compiled staticly and won't be compiled if
it's not included with a device entry?

3.  The handbook seems to suggest to use the config, make, make install
procedure for installing the kernel if you have no other reason for not
using it, what is the reason for this?  (The paragraph immediately
following procedure 2)

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C