Mass Storage Device

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Thu Mar 11 00:52:14 PST 2004

I have recently purchased a SanDisk Cruzer Mini usb flash drive and I am
having difficulty getting it to work under FreeBSD, but it works fine in
both windoze and linux.  When I plug it in, I get the following kernel
messages:

umass0: SanDisk Corporation  Cruzer Mini , rev 2.00/0.26, addr 2
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0 as device 0
pass0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
pass0: <Generic STORAGE DEVICE 0026> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
device
pass0: 650KB/s transfers
Creating DISK da0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
(pass0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(pass0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry

It looks like it detects it and sets it up as device /dev/da0, but I
can't access it:

# fdisk -s /dev/da0
fdisk: cannot open disk /dev/da0: Device not configured

Same with da1, da2, etc.  I have the following options compiled in:

device          scbus
device          da
device          pass
device          umass

So it should work, AFAIK, but I can't seem to access it.  I have tried
several different umass devices, from a clie with a ms reader to compact
flash readers and other brands of flash drives, and I have had
difficulty getting any of them to work, but I think at least one of them
worked.  Is the umass driver in FreeBSD still incomplete in some areas
or am I just doing something wrong?

--
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C