Problem restarts

User LAFFER1 laffer1 at adsl-68-76-19-75.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net
Mon Jun 28 12:10:17 PDT 2004

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004, Mark Terribile wrote:

> Dear "User LAFFER1",
>
>> I had a similar problem with a server recently.  The issue turned out to
>> be the NIC/NIC driver.  I changed it over to a 3com and it worked like a
>> charm ever since.
>
> Well, I'm using the motherboard NIC, which is an Intel RC82540EM
>
>> I'm also using that power supply in a server.  I've noticed it gets very
>> hot under load.  I believe that model only has one fan and is considered a
>> desktop "silent" model.  Its possible that your system config is too much
>> for it running 24/7.  Its not the wattage per se, just that its not
>> designed for continously use.  My system is only an amd athelon 2000+ with
>> 512mb ram, 1 7200rpm 40gig maxtor drive and a dvd reader.
>
> This is a two-fan model, with no visible speed adjustment.  The output air
> is warm, but not outrageously so.  But if that were the problem, why
> would the system restart immediately, and why would it be taken down by
> processor load rather than by a heavy disk load?  Is it worth buying a
> 420 or 480 watt supply to test?  Antec supplies are built more heavily than
> most, and this 380 watter cost as much as a 480 from, say, Powmax.
>
>    Mark Terribile

The intel nic drivers tend to be pretty stable.  Interesting that yours is
a two fan model.  Mine was included in an Antec case.

If you know it only occurs under heavy CPU load, then that leads to two
conclusions.

1. Hardware issue/thermal.  Perhaps your cpu fan is not adequate.  Perhaps
thermal compound might help?  Artic silver.. etc. Another possibility is
that you have adequate cooling but a sensor on the processor, fan or
motherboard watching the cpu is malfunctioning and making the system think
its overheating.  Can you look at the temperature readings for the cpu in
the bios, etc?

2. Software issue.

I tend to lean toward hardware as others have posted.