Reinstalling And /usr

Rishi Chopra idfubar at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 10:05:29 PDT 2004

--- Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> wrote:
> In the last episode (Jun 21), Rishi Chopra said:
> > What is the effect on the /usr partition when
> reinstalling over an
> > installation?
> >
> > I suffered a kernel panic that wiped my MBR; I'd
> like to simply
> > reinstall with the same partition/slice values -
> will my /usr
> > partition and the data therein still be accessible
> after
> > reinstallation?
>
> Sure, except anything you may have changed in
> /usr/{bin,sbin,share,lib,libexec} will get
> overwritten.  Make sure you
> elect not to newfs any of your filesytems :)  In
> fact, if you know your
> exact mbr info, you should be able to boot the
> install floppy, go to
> the partition editor, set it up, write, reboot, and
> you're done.
>
> --
> 	Dan Nelson
> 	dnelson at allantgroup.com

I certainly appreciate the good advice, but I could
use a little more information.

I'm not really worried about saving the system and the
MBR, just my /usr/home directory.  Can I install the
system again (from floppies) without the inode chain
getting messed up and the /usr/home directory becoming
invisible?  I would like to know if I can just
reinstall over the original installation much like a
Windows fix; the inode error that I'm getting now
prevents /bin/sh from loading and may have made the
system unsalvageable.

=====
Rishi Chopra
http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~rchopra