Reinstalling And /usr

epilogue at allstream.net epilogue at allstream.net
Mon Jun 21 20:44:40 PDT 2004

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:39:31 -0700 (PDT)
Rishi Chopra <idfubar at yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is the effect on the /usr partition when
> reinstalling over an installation?
>
> I suffered a kernel panic that wiped my MBR; I'd like
> to simply reinstall with the same partition/slice
> values - will my /usr partition and the data therein
> still be accessible after reinstallation?

hello rishi,

i'm not sure about the answers to your questions, but...

i suppose you have access to the net now.  if so, you might want to look
at "man boot" and "man boot0cfg".

if you have a freebsd rescue disk lying about, i believe that you
can boot up, mount the necessary slices, and simply restore your previous
MBR.

i seem to recall having replaced an overwritten MBR in the past.
it went something like "boot0cfg -B -b boot0 ad0"

but that was a looooong time ago.  please DO NOT take my word for it.  read
those man pages.

hopefully someone else on the list can confirm that this suggestion is on
the right track.

good luck,
epi