OT: Cable management

dvv dvv at online.bg
Sat Jun 26 12:47:27 PDT 2004

Jorn Argelo writes:

> Bill Sawyer wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I need to come up with a good solution for managing cables.  Basically,
>> I've got a $500 budget, and about 26 systems to deal with.  I have ten
>> wires that I'll be dealing with.  The PC sits on top of the desktop, and
>> cables are fed through a hole in the desk to a power strip on the ground.
>> All the peripherals are also on the desk, and those wires are haphazardly
>> spilling out behind the computer.
>>
>> I know my verbal description won't necessarily help too much when it
>> comes to picking a solution, but I'd like to hear what products and
>> solutions any of you use.  Any ideas will be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Bill Sawyer
>> Information Systems
>> Six Flags St. Louis
>> (636) 938-5300 x. 231

> Hi Bill,
>
> I got a similair problem as you have. Since my sister is moving out of the
> house I am moving over to her room. Now I reckoned that I should just hang
> a big cable gutter (gutter, pipe, or however you call those things) right
> below my desk, and _hopefully_ all the network cables and cables for three
> PCs fit right in there. If they don't fit all, too bad then, but at least
> I got a bunch cables away from sight.
>
> Anyway, I hope this can help you a bit.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jorn

Google/e-bay on structure cabling, patch panels - $100 roughly, nice
switches - $100-300 or more. The more expensive are managed and are better:
For example Surecom Switch 24Port10/100 & 2Port10/100/1000, EP-726DG-L,
Management is a good one. It costs about 300usd in my country. Check other
options from lower classes - pure 10/100mbit managed switches and other
vendors also.
Pick several kinds of colour duck tape to mark the cables  so that you can
recognize them easily in the panel and a  stand from Home Depot  to put the
boxes on. If you have place for the boxes, spent the rest of your budget on
beverages of your taste. You will need them during your network setup.
Enjoy!
Dimitar