IP alias + NAT through a single NIC?

Romain Kang romain at kzsu.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 26 09:00:22 PDT 2004

I have a single physical network with 2 disjoint address spaces in
it.  Logical Net 1 is routable, while Logical Net 2 is in private
space intended to keep devices there safe from the outside.  Now I
need to allow some Net 2 devices the capability to access the web,
and putting in a second physical net is impractical.

Can a FreeBSD box with just one NIC on the physical net be used as
the router between the logical nets?  If so, could it be used to
limit outside access from Net 2 by hardware address?  Or is there
a proxy that would work for this configuration?

Thanks,
Romain Kang                             Disclaimer: I speak for myself alone,
romain at kzsu.stanford.edu                except when indicated otherwise.