Upgrading MySQL strategies

David Fuchs david at davidfuchs.ca
Thu Jun 24 22:26:12 PDT 2004

Doug Poland wrote:
> Does someone have a strategy for upgrading MySQL?
 >
> I've searched the archives and have turned up nothing useful.  One would
> think this would be covered in MySQL's excellent on-line docs, but I
> could find no mention of upgrading.

Hi Doug,

As a rule, you shouldn't trust that your database will be compatible
with any version of MySQL besides the one it currently runs under.
Dumping the database and re-loading it is the best option.  Make sure to
check the changelog for the new version beforehand, just in case there
have been important changes (possible inclusion of new reserved words -
things of that nature).  Sometimes there are specific processes you need
to follow for upgrading certain versions of MySQL (i.e. you'll need to
run a contributed script or something) - where applicable, these
processes are well-documented.

I think a good 'strategy' is the same one you would use for any kind of
upgrade - one that allows you to test your changes safely and thoroughly
before implementing them.  Always backup first, of course.  Run both the
old and new versions of MySQL side-by-side with separate copies of the
database (you'll need to modify your config appropriately to run two
copies) and take your time with it to ensure things are running as expected.

Section 2.5 of the MySQL documentation has a lot of good information for
upgrading.  You can view the HTML copy (with user comments) here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Upgrade.html

--
Thanks,
-David Fuchs BCIS (david at davidfuchs.ca)