Upgrading MySQL strategies

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Thu Jun 24 16:15:48 PDT 2004

Hello,

Does someone have a strategy for upgrading MySQL?  For example, I'm
currently running 5.2.1-RELEASE with mysql-server-4.1.1_2.  The current
MySQL version is 4.1.2.  If I simply run portupgrade, will the new MySQL
  binary be "OK" with the older-style database files?   If I were to
dump the 4.1.1 files then restore, there may have been changes in the
schema that could make this problematic.

I've searched the archives and have turned up nothing useful.  One would
think this would be covered in MySQL's excellent on-line docs, but I
could find no mention of upgrading.

Thanks for your help.

--
Regards,