Mounting hard disk in multiple locations

Sergey Zaharchenko doublef at tele-kom.ru
Thu Jun 24 06:15:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 08:55:57AM -0400,
 Alan Gerber probably wrote:
> Okay folks, help me out with this one.
>
> I'm trying to mount a single hard disk slice in two separate locations (one
> location being r/o and another being r/w), and having a hard time figuring out
> how to do it.  I've tried issuing multiple mount calls, but I get a "Device
> busy" error.

You get it because it isn't supposed to work that way.

> I've also checked out the mount(8) series of manpages and
> haven't found anything.  I've also thought about trying to create a separate
> device node for this purpose, a la mknod, but I wanted to be sure that won't
> do anything overly harsh to the system before I attempt it.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

mount_null(8) is a thing that may help you, though it doesn't do exactly
what you are trying to (and is labeled dangerous in the manpage). But
AFAICT that's the only way.

--
DoubleF
"I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like."