USB Tape Drive (Seagate Travan)

Duane Winner duanewinner at att.net
Wed Jun 23 08:53:11 PDT 2004

Hello,

Has anybody out there ever had any experience and/or success with
attaching a Seagate USB Travan Tape Drive to FreeBSD? (Or any USB tape
drive for that matter?)

I plug it in, and FreeBSD detects it and brings up a 'Freecom USB-ATAPI'
hardware on  /dev/ugen0.

However I don't see any ATAPI tape devices (/dev/ast*).

Am I just SOL or is there hope of getting it working? I don't see it (or
any USB tape drive) listed on the FreeBSD supported hardware.

But I thought I would try anyway. If anybody has any success or just
plain info on this, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Duane Winner
duanewinner at att.net